Saturday, March 27, 2010

Another Boring Saturday: The Millenium arrives, the Roman Empire yields to the Visigoths, Mayan Civilization disappears, and I, Buster, take a walk!

My weltschmerz-addled countenance requires a brief respite from the Cares of the World.

Thus it is written, that I, Buster the Wonder Dawg, shall set forth upon a Pilgrimage to the Far Reaches of New Haven County, wandering for Forty Minutes and Forty Seconds upon the remains of a Jurassic volcano in search of Fortitude and Meaning.



I mounted my faithful Warhorse, the fabled blue Percheron of the Knights of Chrysler, accompanied by my dim-witted Squire-Lackey, the male humanoid.






"Whence goeth we?" I enquired.

"Follow your shadow," replied the Lackey.




Ah--the Pause that Refresheth!

We set out, lightly armed and on foot, along the shores of Lake Merimere. 'Twas frightful cold, and I hoped that the Dragon would remain in its cave. Maybe a scantily-clad Lady of the Lake would appear, bearing the Sword of my destiny, Exculpable.

Alas, she didn't.




We trod onward.

The Castle Perilous loomed, just on the other side of the Dragon's Breath...

This was an evil place, shape-shifting and fecund with the spirits of the long-dead. Many brave souls of the Order of Knights Chrysler had not returned from here. The undulating images of Fata Morgana reflected ill intent.






We encountered slabs of Holyoke Basalt, formed 200 million years ago, when the Dragon emerged in a giant lavaflow that ranged from just south of the Vermont border to Long Island Sound. It formed the Metacomet Ridge, and Connecticut has not been the same since.



Only a creature with foul, hot breath could do this kind of thing!



And there ahead lay the Castle Perilous, looming in stark relief against the sunset!



It was then that the Dragon suddenly overflew us, accompanied by his mate. I trembled.






It was, in fact, the most vile, dangerous species of dragon known in this region--the Evil Branta Canadensis! Nothing this powerful had been known to us since the departure of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog.

A thousand fears flooded my brain. What if we encountered The Legendary Black Beast of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh? Or, even worse, the Knights Who Say Ni?

"Lackey!" I cried. We are so out of here! I summoned Rocinante, collapsed into the saddle, and commanded her to head for the second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning. It was two long miles!





Whew! That was a close one. For my next adventure, I'll just have to remember...There's no place like home!


Your humble, churlish knave,

Buster


7 comments:

Noah the Airedale said...

Oh Buster...Whence goeth we..hehe you are so posh and fancy.
Nice leg lift by the way.

Noah x

Molly the Airedale said...

What a fun walkie, Buster! We love your car rides, first, looking so forward to the adventure and second, pooped, but content!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

RILEY AND STAR MY MALTESEKIDS said...

Hi Buster,

Thanks for taking us back in time a bit. That was really a cool presentation! For a minute we thought we really was there!

Have a grrreat day,

Luv,
Riley and Star.

Asta said...

Bustew
I twembled wif you and am exhausted wif wowwy weading of the pewwilous places you go..take good cawe my bwave wawwiow
smoochie kisses
ASTA

McGillicutty said...

Buster, me lad!!! Where have ya been, me Irish relative? I'm so glad to have had you over the other day for a Guinness! You are one rockin' dude! Oh, and Persephone, you are quite the elegant lass. Glad we found each other!

Me likes all the wildlife in your neck of the woods. Looks like you have your work cut out for you with the chipmunk population to control and all.

I'm followin' ya now, and I'll be visiting again soon.

Irish Love,
McG

Sue said...

Ahh, perhaps you can come help us fight off the terrible tom tom turkeys that wander thru our yard.

Amber-Mae said...

Hey guys! I hope you had a good walk Buster.

Love licks & Hugs,
Solid Gold Dancer